Ever wonder why your skin looks great one day and dull the next? Our skin cells turnover about every 28 days. Regular exfoliation is key for preventing dull, greyish skin and for making sure products you use are able to work their best. Regular exfoliation helps improve your skin texture, allows your skin to better absorb the products you use, and fights signs of aging. Read on to learn everything you need to know to become an exfoliation master!
When exfoliating your body always start at your feet and brush upward towards the heart. When you start on your arms, begin at the hands and work upward. Use firm strokes upwards or in a circular motion. For the stomach use a counterclockwise pattern.
- Dry Brushing: Your skin should feel softer in just one session! Use a body brush with natural bristles on dry skin. Bonus: this also helps increase circulation and can even lessen the appearance of cellulite!
- Mitt Brushing: Try Supracor! This bath mitt cleans, exfoliates and massages your skin. It needs just a touch of soap to create a foamy lather. This process stimulates the lymph system and releases the toxins that produce cellulite. It’s naturally antifungal and antibacterial, plus it dries quickly perfect for keeping in the shower!
- Spa Exfoliation: Treat yourself one of our body exfoliation services for soft, glowing skin! The Sea salt treatment is great if you need an intense exfoliation. Our blend of sea salts are massaged, removing dead skin cells and increasing circulation. Bonus: we have a take home product, Citrus Salt Glow, to make sure your results last! Sensitive skin? Try the Honey Almond treatment. This service moisturizes and gently exfoliates leaving skin extremely smooth and soft.
If you aren’t exfoliating your skin regularly you can end up with clogged pores which can block moisture and give you poor skin tone and texture. Some of our favorite ways to to keep our faces fresh are:
- Physical vs Enzymatic exfoliating: Physical- Using a facial scrub once or twice a week can help reduce small lines and make your skin softer by scrubbing away dead skin and dirt. We love Astara’s Daily Refining scrub or Eminence Fizzofoliant, a powder that can be added to any cleanser or just mixed with water or toner! Enzymatic- Uses enzymes like those found in papaya to dissolve dead, flaky skin. Our most popular? Bare Fruit 2-step mask from Dermaware.
- Chemical exfoliating: This type of exfoliation is good for acne prone or oily skin. This includes treatment products that speed the cell turnover rate and causes exfoliation. Try Green Cream. This retinol product from local dermatologist Dr. Nia Terezakis has three levels of strength so you can find the one perfect for your skin!
- Manual exfoliating: Clarisonic- This dermatologist recommended, sonic face brush gently exfoliates your skin and is safe for daily use. This brush removes all traces of makeup, sunscreen, oil and debris and can help minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Hydrofacial: This facial uses microdermabrasion, a chemical peel, extractions and infusion of: antioxidants, hyaluronic acid and peptides all in one service. It gently and deeply cleanses the skin clearing clogged pores, while exfoliating and delivering thorough hydration.
Benefits of Exfoliation:
- Smoother skin
- Reduces breakouts
- Reduces the appearance of dark spots or age spots
- Allows your skincare and body products to absorb better
- Prevents ingrown hairs and razor burn
- Reduces stress
Want personalized recommendations on what exfoliation products are right for you? Come in to talk to one of our skin care experts!